Thursday, March 18, 2010

Pride and Punishment

I got off at the wrong stop today on my way home from work. I was supposed to get off at the American Fork park-and-ride, but unfortunately, I got off at the Lehi park-and-ride. Now this wouldn’t be so bad except the bus was still in the parking lot when I noticed my egregious error. But a strange pet peeve of mine is running after a bus. If I drive up to the bus stop, and the bus is there almost ready to pull out, I refuse to get out of my car, and run like a turkey trying to catch the bus. So running after the very bus that I so mistakenly exited seemed completely out of the question. So I stood there, nodded at the bus driver as he passed, acting as if I was waiting to cross the street to my car, and watch my mode of transportation drive off into freeway-dom.

No worries, there should be another bus in the next 15, 20… okay 30 minutes. But as I sat in the violent wind and freezing rain, I thought to myself is it worth it? Is the pride worth it? I mean my only shelter is this thin plexi-glass shelter that works more as a wind tunnel than a shelter and the wind was particularly violent, I was like in a mosh pit with Mother Nature, it literally would push my around. I mean, it was strictly pride that stood between me; and the warm, muggy but comparatively cozy bus. As I thought about me freezing in the rain, and me turkey sprinting towards the leaving bus I realized, the pride is totally worth it. No way am I gong to be that guy.


So with pinked ears, runny nose, and numb fingers and toes, I waited. It seemed like a long time, but another bus eventually showed up. I was able to get on the bus, with my pride nicely tucked away, intact in my leather messenger bag, ready to get to my car. Well at least until I had exchange several salutations with several guys I knew from work.


1 comment:

Georgiana said...

Oh man. This made me laugh out loud so much! Mosh pit with mother nature? Exchanging salutations with the guys from work? And best of all..turkey sprinting? That is so da(etc) funny and now part of my permanent vocabulary. Turkey sprinting. What a wor(l)d.