Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Dawn of the Razor Scooter Era

Andrew's Birthday was drawing near when his Grandma and Grandpa wanted to get him one of those Razor scooters, and of course with a sibling so close in age, one had to be given to Emma as well. So we have now joined the ranks of the masses of neighborhood kids who roam around the streets on those little Razor scooters. It seems these Razor things are just a part of modern childhood. Our kids will grow up, and reminisce when they lost their first tooth, the first day of kindergarten, and when they got their first Razor scooter. It is ingrained as part of growing up these days, almost to the point where I think if we didn't get them for our kids, they would end up years later in therapy to discuss how they felt about never having one. Anyways, I ramble on too much, but I thought I would share. So in honor of this modern rite of passage into the quintessential childhood experience, here are a few pics.



We will start with the artsy fartsy photo of Andrew and his friend outside riding. I thought the angle of the sun helped give the photo a nice fall feel to it. I guess all the yellow leaves helped too.


And what good is a scooter if you can't do tricks. I believe this one is called a "mini" which is a bit simpler than the "mini squigly" which is accomplish by doing the "mini" and swerving back and forth.


Cool shot of Andrew working on his balance. (Of course I don't show the picture of him wiped out on the grass)


Basic pose of triumph. Were there some ritual or celebration to accompany the receiving of a Razor scooter, this would be the picture blown up sitting on a table in the center of the room.


Just a fun shot capturing the neighborhood.


And of course Emma, making her speed demon face.


This is like the triumph pose, but more along the lines of GQ. Should children get together to create a Razor weekly magazine, I am sure this would show up in one of the ads.


I was never able to get a triumph or a GQ pose out of Emma, instead I just got the "stop taking my picture Dad!" expression.


I think Emma got tired of the slow nature of the razor scooter and opted for the much faster bike. I can't remember if that was actually the sun shining on her hair, or if actual speed flames were bursting from her head. I think I had to jump out of the way on this one.

2 comments:

dre said...

A: I like the artsy photo. Nice use of the sun circles.
B: Yes I agree those are flames coming off emma's head while on her bike.
and C:
I was on the couch yesterday thinking how cool those balls were with the flat ring around it's middle. You know those balls that looked like the planed Saturn and you stood on it and bounced like a pogo stick. That was a childhood memory. And I only remembered it because my friends were talking about a product called a woble and that's the image I got from hearing that word.

Hailey said...

Do NOT make fun of me, but I tagged you on my blog--check it out...